Thursday, April 15, 2010

Glee review

In my previous post I commented how 24 was such an original and innovative show when it premiere in 2001. I think Glee could be something similar now. It's an original concept and gets a huge buzz. Past musical shows (like Cop Rock and Viva Las Vegas) were huge, HUGE, flops. When Glee premiered, it targeted the right audience (basically, the American Idol audience) and was able to get the rights to sing current, popular songs.

The first half of the inaugural season was very enjoyable with good stories intertwined with the musical numbers. I truly enjoyed the first half of season one. On Tuesday the second half of season one kicked off where the first half left off. Unfortunately, there was SO MUCH time in between (bad move on Fox's part), it left me a little confused as I'd forgotten some major plot points and honestly, left me not really caring as much. It was also difficult for me to explain to my wife what was going on as she is just now trying to get into the show.

So apparently cheerleader coach Sue blackmailed the principal to get reinstated though she had been suspended for trying to sabotage the Glee Club's performances at sectionals (or regionals? not quite sure), Glee Club male lead Finn has dumped the very hot ex-cheerleader Quinn (who barely appeared in this episode) after finding out her baby is ex-best friend Puck's and not his and in addition, is now dating Glee Club female lead and social outcast Rachel, and Glee Club instructor Will has dumped his wife Terri after discovering she was faking her pregnancy to keep him close and started dating Guidance Counselor, Emma, after Gym Teacher Ken left her at the alter. Caught up now?

In our episode, Sue torments Will and employs the two dumb cheerleaders (forgive me not knowing their names) to woo Finn away from Rachel, causing tension between them and ultimately destroying the Glee Club (just go with it...). Finn breaks up with Rachel and Sue invites her to the "Old Maid's Club". From there she is scared and soon finds respite in the arms of an enemy Glee Clubber from a rival high school. Finn and the McKinley Glee'ers think the rival is simply trying to gain intel for the regionals. Rachel thinks it's true love. I suspect Sue is behind this... Meanwhile, Will and Emma start dating but decide to put it on hold so Will can "discover himself".

The two cheerleaders and Sue provided good comic relief this episode and the musical numbers all involving "Hello" (or "Hell") songs ("Hello I Love You", "Hello", "It gives you Hell", "Hello Again", and "Hello/Goodbye" and coincidentally, "Highway to Hell" by the rivals) were very entertaining, but I thought the story lines fell a little flat. I am glad they nipped the Wil/Emma romance for now because it was a little boring. I fear for Quinn and Puck because I like them both but just don't know what the writers can do for them. We'll see if some momentum can be generated by next week's Madonna themed episode.



Later

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review. I look forward to your analysis if the perennial tension between talent and personality. Which is more appealing? Which is the bigger turn-on?

    ReplyDelete